- Longest patent – US 6,278,698 B1 (Aug. 21, 2001) Radio frequency data communications device by O’Toole, James E., et al. Micron Technology, Inc. (Boise, ID) . Total number of pages of application was 3,334.
- Most number of drawing – US 6,337,634 B1 (Jan. 8, 2002) Radio frequency data communications device by O’Toole, James E., et al. Micron Technology, Inc. (Boise, ID). The patent application had in total 3,654 figures.
- Most Claims – US 2003/0173072 A1 (Sept. 18, 2003) Forming openings in a hydrocarbon containing formation using magnetic tracking by Vinegar, Harold J., et al. Shell Oil Company (Houston, TX). The patent application had 8,958 claims but was reduced to 90 claims in issued patent, US 6,991,045 B2.
- Most citing patent – US 4,723,129 (Feb. 2, 1988) Bubble jet recording method and apparatus in which a heating element generates bubbles in a liquid flow path to project droplets by Endo, Ichiro, et al. Canon Kabushiki Kaisha (Tokyo, JP). The patent application cited 2,373 patents (updated June 1, 2011).
- Most cited patent – US 7,344,507 B2 (March 18, 2008) Method and apparatus for lancet actuation by Briggs, Barry D., et al. Pelikan Technologies (Palo Alto, CA). This patent has been cited 1,719 times.
- Longest pend ency – US 6,097,812 (Aug. 1, 2000; filed July 25, 1933) Cryptographic system by Friedman, William F. U.S. National Security Agency (Washington, DC). This patent was withheld for 67 years (to issue) from issue under an invention secrecy order.
- Most inventors – US 7013469 (Mar. 14, 2006) Application program interface for network software platform by Adam W. Smith, et al. Microsoft (Redmond, WA). There were 51 inventor in total.
- Shortest patent – US 2004/0005535 A1 (Jan. 8, 2004) Process of reincarnation by George Knauer III (Naples, FL) . This patent application was drafted only with 52 words.
- Shortest claim – US 3,164,462 (Dec. 15, 1964; filed Feb. 7. 1949)Element 96 and compositions thereof
“1. Element 96”
US 3,156,523 (Nov. 10, 1964; filed Aug. 23, 1946)
Element 95 and method of producing said element
“1. Element 95”
by Dr. Glenn T. Seaborg
U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (Washington, DC). Claim is 2 words long.
- Inventor with most patent in single year – Kia Silverbrook Kia Silverbrook is the founder of Silverbrook Research, Ltd., a research firm in Sydney, Australia specializing in inkjet printer technology. He has filed over 8,000 patent applications worldwide. He had 714 patents in 2010
One hour before Alexander Graham Bell registered his patent for the telephone in 1876, Elisha Gray patented his design. After years of litigation, the patent went to Bell.
- Thomas Edison filed 1,093 patents, including those for the light bulb, electric railways and the movie camera. When he died in 1931, he held 34 patents for the telephone, 141 for batteries, 150 for the telegraph and 389 patents for electric light and power.
- The first fax process was patented in 1843.